> DVB-H is fine, as long as you don't mind waiting ten seconds to change
channels (!!!) or waiting until 2011 for the frequencies to be freed up in
the UK.

I doubt that'd remain as-is forever... Remember the first Sky digiboxes,
Freeview and DAB receivers? How sluggish they were? As device power
increased, and cacheing was improved, that time decreased. I doubt it'd stay
at 10 seconds for long.

> Given that DAB is not dying (don't confuse one radio group's short-sighted
business problems with a death of the medium), it would make rather more
sense to continue investing in its infrastructure.

Of course (cycnic mode firmly turned to on), that would be the BBC R&D's
official standpoint on this, given the (estimated) amount they're investing
/ planning to invest in Olinda ;) Buying a radio with a useless core
function would be very embarassing! That said, DAB services, given adequate
bandwidth, are quite sufficient - unfortunately, there's too much quantity
and not enough focus on quality (I still feel like the multiplexes are being
treated like shelves in a budget supermarket).

Why can't the industry move towards OTA-upgradeable on-chip decoders? The
day that format is standardised and Pure / Roberts comes out with a good
standalone player, I'll buy into that immediately. Olinda is a step in the
right direction with regards to that but add-on modules only work for so
long... When the hardware exists to support this, why not start working with
it? Even if you initially work with upgrade-via-USB or somesuch similar, you
can start with DAB, upgrade the on-chip decoder to DAB & DAB+, then add AAC
support, etc etc... No add-on modules required, and it moves away from the
throwaway sensibilities many people have with technology these days. Back to
the days of a CD player that would last 10 years!

</digress>