Andrew Bowden wrote:

>     The public don't know what they want! ;) Problem is they'll settle
>     for naff quality because they don't realise exactly what kind of
>     quality can be achieved from the technology, they merely accept the
>     broadcasted quality because they don't believe they can do anything
>     about it, and there we have it. If you ask the early adopters what
>     the quality was like at start as opposed to today, they all take our
>     standpoint (it's rubbish now).
>

> TV pictures are a similar one.  You wouldn't believe the number of
> people who can watch 4:3 signals on Freeview, stretched out to 16:9 on a
> naff LCD and think it's the best picture they've ever seen.  Yet it
> makes me cringe every time.  But try telling people that you're right... ;)
>

> And lets not forget that we've now got a culture growing whereby
> teenagers listen to music via appalling mobile loudspeakers on buses
> (well that is until I loom over then and threaten to ram the confounded
> thing down their throat anyway! ;)

Funny thing that - I'm sure I recall a study that said that size is more
important than quality for enjoying video.
[I suspect volume is more important for enjoying music.]

Note, "enjoying", not "appreciating".

As we, err, 'mature'; some of us learn to appreciate as well as enjoy.

I have a 240cm screen that plays standard def pictures blown up to widescreen -
it's fantastic!
Sure I notice the fuzz and some artefacts if I look careully - but it behooves
me not to.

Anyhow, personally I'm stuck until I can get a non-DRM HD signal into my Linux
Myth PVR.

David