Brian Butterworth wrote:
I think you are confusing Freeview with Freesat. On Freesat the multiple services are statmuxed together, on Freeview BBC ONE is in 4.9Mb/s, apart from Scotland, Wales and NI where the extra two radio channels mean the whole of mux 1 is statmuxed.

I might be wrong, but I'm not confused. :-) I haven't done my own measurements, but linowsat.com backs me up: of all the BBC One regions, only London shows any kind of statmux-related bitrate varation that I can see:

http://www.linowsat.com/0282/all/0282.shtml

As I said, ideally the BBC One (London) and BBC Two services would form the foundation of BBC ONE HD and BBC TWO HD, but it would be brilliant if they could switch to the MPEG 2 SD transmissions for the regional news. I'm sure ITV1 HD would LOVE to do the same, especially for all that regional advertisting they are required to do... So, there may be a slight frame pause going to the news at 6:28, 6:58, 7:28, 7:58, 8:28, 8:58, 13:30, 15:28, 18:30, 19:59 and 22:25, but it would be a better way of sorting out the problem - well, cheaper. It's hardly rocket science!

I think you're underestimating the difficulties. And ignoring the costs. :-) Bear in mind that you can't make any changes that would break the millions of installed Sky STBs.

    A simpler way to get a similar effect would be to tell the receiver when
    a programme was being simulcast in HD on a different service, so that it
    could automatically switch over to it at the appropriate moment, if
    that's what the user wanted, and back again at the programme's end.  I
    think TV-Anytime supports that kind of thing in the related content
    table, IIRC.
That would have the same effect, but I personally would perfer to have my content in MPEG4 rather than MPEG2.

Your preference is noted. ;-)  Personally I'd like Dirac. :-P