On 27/03/2008, James Cridland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Brian Butterworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> > I can't wait for the day the BBC embrace proper peer-to-peer for
> > > streaming
> > > TV (and the ISPs sort themselves out with a little more of that
> > > proposed
> > > intelligent routing). A TVAnts-esque (BBC branded) app would be bloody
> > > marvellous.
> >

> > As the BBC News 24/BBC World feeds on http://www.livestation.com/ show.
> >

> I don't run anything Microsoft at home (well, not on a regular basis), so
> therefore haven't seen Livestation. Good that it works for you chaps; sorry
> I'm clearly missing out. (BBC man in not-running-Microsoft shock, lest I
> need to make that clear!)
>
> I'm not convinced about P2P stuff for live streaming. I've experience with
> it elsewhere, and it saves little bandwidth costs and adds a whole heap more
> complication. (It's also possible to hijack streams.)
>
> Multicast would be even better: it's far closer to the most sensible way
> of broadcasting, which is a big stick in a field. Thankfully, for radio,
> we're already doing it - www.bbc.co.uk/multicast
>
> On a separate note, this post is coming to you courtesy of Ubuntu 8.04 on
> my little Asus Eee. After a little patching for the wifi (which inexplicably
> works for WPA but not for WEP), it works, and works well.

I too am Emailing from a Eee PC.  It plays everything (apart from
RealPlayer) out of the box.  All I installed on it was the remote desktop
client so I can remote into Windows servers, and Opera because it look
better on the small screen than Firefox.

I have to say this machine is my favourite machine, and I love it like I
loved my BBC Micro.  It really fits in my lap, and you can hold it with one
hand!  Unlike a "small" apple machine, it comes with a power supply that is
tiny too.  The touch pad sucks, but because it's a touchpad.  The keyboard
is
just big enough to type on properly - I can't deal with all these devices
made for people with 'Japanese lady's fingers'.

--

--
Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
http://www.ukfree.tv