On 27/03/2008, Andrew Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > They seem to manage it OK when using systems like BBCi which can
> change
> > transponder in the middle of a session!  All the OpenTV apps can do
> this...
> > perhaps MHEG5 isn't up to it?
>
> It works, although we "hide" the transision which is not particularly
> neat.  The video/audio cut out or freeze/restart and so on.  Instead the
> user sees a nice static picture.  MHEG can do the same - we do do the
> same on DTT but without the pretty picture - we do lock screens to cover
> up messiness if we can.
>
> However it's not like for like.  And it's not about OpenTV or MHEG.
> It's about a video stream reconfiguring mid broadcast.  That's a
> different can of worms.

I really do appreciate this, and that it might be a little tricky to do!
You would, I would guess have to force the SD channels into a I-frames mode
(perhaps with a static caption) when you make the switch.

It is not like it has to happen every 20 minutes (as ITV1 would require) to
do adverts, so it would only have to happen at

6:28, 6:58, 7:28, 7:58, 8:28, 8:58, 13:30, 15:28, 18:30, 19:59 and 22:25.

If Breakfast isn't in HD, then it could just be a "full time" swap to the
regional SD feed from 6am-9am, which just leaves the news inserts at 13:30,
15:28, 18:30, 19:59 and 22:25.  The 19:59 would be the tricky one!

But six redirects a day can't be beyond the BBC!

The problem is that there has to be a long-term plan anyway.  Whilst the SD
broadcasts remain, it would seem sensible to use them as a backup feed for a
HD service (to me).  When the SD regional broadcasts are removed, they will
need HD replacements anyway, and given that the regions are not going to go
HD anytime soon, the BBC isn't going to want to carry 17 HD BBC ONE streams,
is it?

I just think that the only way the HD upgrade plan can really be a success
is to make room for the whole lot to go HD, as soon as possible.  A single
HD channel is clearly not the way ahead, and so we can't really avoid the
problem of the need for BBC ONE HD within the medium term, and something is
going to have to be done to regionalise it by then anyway.

--
Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
http://www.ukfree.tv