There is only one solution:

Bigger Pipes and Infrastructure competition, or if that is not practical
(FTTH) a Government project.

It is not just me who says this:
http://gigaom.com/2008/04/10/why-fixing-internet-capacity-keeps-the-telcos-honest/

"Without fixing the bandwidth shortage on the wire or in the protocols,
we make it easy for carriers to claim that they need to regulate
bandwidth in order to survive. If we can fix the bandwidth and
efficiency problems, we take away one of the main reasons telcos claim
they need to shape traffic and interfere with the Internet."

The latest between BT and Ofcom.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article3735500.ece

On which I would comment, just don't have time right now.