Indeed I had been under the impression there was progress when Ashley
Highfield told me last November that long-term, DRM should be open
source or better yet, work should be done with rights holders to do
away with DRM.

In my conversations with people from PACT I got the distinct
impression that they are not at all militant about DRM. What they are
deeply concerned with are the livelihoods of content creators and
maintaining a resemblance to the status quo where more popular content
is remunerated in proportion.

The BBC is perhaps uniquely qualified to sit down with PACT and the
others and hammer out deals which are fair to both the licence fee
payer and the creator. DRM is inherently unfair to the licence fee
payer, in many cases infringing on users' rights; it is difficult and
expensive to implement on common platforms, and even more so on all
the others; and is easily defeated by the technically inclined while
monstrously frustrating to everybody else.

Years ago, the BBC convinced RealNetworks to issue a special version
of their player. Adobe has just implemented Speex in Flash 10, it
seems to me the BBC could also play a part in getting a free video
codec into Flash which to my mind would certainly be a positive step.

Isn't there anyone at the BBC willing to take that leadership role?

Sean.