Interesting point of debate.
This logic says that it is possible only to have an opinion if you speak the
language of the country that you have a though about.

This is just silly, I can like a part of Wales without speaking Welsh!

It may be impolite to talk about people abroad in English without starting
a separate topic in their own language, but it would be plain daft to say
any more.

I mean, I have an opinion about the ταραχές στην Ελλάδα, but I can't see why
the BBC should have a debate about them.

2008/12/8 Dominic Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Good morning list,
>
> I don't suppose many of you are aware of this, but this morning the BBC
> News Online website is being accused of bias by the Venezuelan
> Ambassador to the UK for a very (IMHO) interesting reason.
>
> For those who can read Spanish, the details of the accusation are on the
> Venezuelan state TV website:
> < http://www.vtv.gob.ve/articulos/reportajes/12217>
>
> For those who can't, the brief summary is this: The (English language)
> BBC News site currently has a 'have your say' section inviting comments
> about Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez's performance in the ten years of
> his Presidency at
> < http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_7760000/
> newsid_7765400/7765415.stm>.
> There is currently no equivalent page on the BBCMundo.com (Spanish
> language) website.  For the avoidance of any doubt, I will clarify that
> Spanish is the official language of Venezuela.
>
> Given that Venezuela has a population of about 60% below the poverty
> line and the majority of Chávez's supporters are known to be from the
> poorer sectors of the society (who are unlikely to have had sufficient
> education to speak English), the BBC stands accused of asking for
> comment in English only in order to deliberately manipulate the results
> to ensure that Chávez is discussed in predominantly adverse terms.
>
> Whilst I am pretty certain this is more likely to be a lack of
> communication between different parts of the BBC, rather than deliberate
> bias, I can't help but feel that the Ambassador might have a valid point
> here.  I have suspected for a while that 'linguistic discrimination' is
> an under-recognised topic amongst website designers of websites with an
> international target audience who permit user feedback.  The danger for
> the BBC, of course, is that this sort of debate could undermine the
> excellent work that has gone in to the development of BBCMundo.com and
> BBC Mundo Radio in Latin America in recent years.
>
> Without wishing to turn this into a political debate on this list, I
> wonder what you think? How much discussion goes into deciding which
> pages should invite comment and is the risk of 'linguistic
> discrimination' considered in conjunction with the World Service's
> different language services? Would it not be better, for example, for
> the invitation for comments to be on the Spanish site and for the
> comments to then be translated for the English site? Is there some form
> of software platform linking the different bits of the BBC and language
> services which allows for comments to be 'shipped' in translation
> between different departments? Or perhaps the comments should be
> displayed on the English page with a 'health warning' to warn that a
> full range of opinions might not be expressed due to the fact that it is
> only an English page?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Dominic.
> (I do not work for the BBC)
>
>
>
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
> visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.
>  Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/
> [email protected]/
>



-- 

Brian Butterworth

follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/briantist
web: http://www.ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover
advice, since 2002

Reply via email to