2009/6/18 Andy Leighton <an...@azaal.plus.com>

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:28:54PM +0100, Brian Butterworth wrote:
> > East Midlands Counties
>  (Notts/Derbys/Lincs/Northamptons/Leictersh/Rutland)
> > Norfolk and Suffolk
> > Cambridge and Bedford
>
> Whilst a more local news service is the solution I think that some
> of your breakdowns will need more thought.  I live in Peterborough
> and the sensible area for news would probably go down to Huntingdon,
> March and Chatteris in the south, up to past Spalding in the North,
> out to past Wisbech in the east, and west as far as Oakham and past
> Oundle.  Ideally a local news service should cover that area - I
> shouldn't have to switch between the three local stations you've
> suggested (and I've quoted) to get the right coverage of things going
> on in my area.

You can't help that transmitters would cover more than one "local" area,
it's just the way it is.  Given that Freeview boxes/sets don't know where
they are, only which region they are in, the only way to implement local
channels would be to have lots of them and choose.

In an ideal world you would have some interactive thingy on BBC One when the
regional news cuts in so you can select, that would be possible with MHEG,
but not automatically.

I also agree that 60 local versions that would be even more local (a million
people in each) would be better from the "local" standpoint, but I am just
trying to deal with the £150m question, a 60-local-BBC-news service is going
to cost a lost more than £150m on top of the current budget.

> So what is needed is indeed a number or news stations, but also have
> the areas overlap and a culture and process of local stations sharing
> news gathering, and even VT packages, with neighbouring news stations.
> There should be no need for Norfolk/Suffolk to go out and film an
> interview at the western edge of their area, and then the next day for
> a Cambridgeshire station to go and repeat the interview because it is
> at the eastern edge of their area.

Yes, this is the case at the moment, was to be the case with the BBC local
TV service and would be here in my 30 times two-million proposal.

The way I have been looking at it is to use the 501-534 LCN range, thus:

501 Bristol, Bath and Western Today
502 Cambridge and Bedford Today
503 Cumbria and Northwest Counties Today
504 Devon and Cornwall Today
505 Dorset and Wiltshire Today
506 Durham and Northumberland Today
507 East Midlands
Counties Today(Notts/Derbys/Lincs/Northamptons/Leictersh/Rutland)
508 Edinburgh and Glasgow Today (Perth, Dundee)
509 Essex and Herts Today
510 Highlands and Islands Today
511 Kent East Sussex and Brighton Today
512 Leicester/Nottingham/Derby Today
513 London East  (reserved)
514 London North (reserved)
515 London South  (reserved)
516 London West (reserved)
517 M4 Corridor Today (Oxford, Reading, Slow, Woking)
518 Manchester Today
519 Merseyside and Blackpool Today
520 Norfolk and Suffolk Today
521 North and Rural Wales Today
522 Northern Ireland Today
523 Rest of Scotland Today
524 South Wales Coast (Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Rhondda) Today
525 Southampton and Hampshire Today
526 Surrey and West Sussex Today
527 Tyne and Wear Today
528 West Midlands Counties S Today
529 West Midlands Counties N Today
530 West Midlands Metropolitan  Today
531 West Yorkshire Today(Leeds, Bradford etc)
532 South Yorkshire Today
533 York and North Yorkshire Today
534 Hull, East Riding and North Lincs Today