We support phones usually through m.domain where the customer pays us to write a specific version otherwise we'd consider graceful degredation to be enough to support the majority of Phones.

Writing a mobile version is usually about delivering a significantly stripped and optimised version rather than a different stylesheet. This is always our preffered option.

A well thought out mobile design WILL work across the majority of phones. Browser sniffing, res sniffing etc are all things that I hoped had died a long time ago. In the case of mobile versions the simplification of the site 'should' lead to an easy to adapt/degrade 'design' which will work in most browsers.

Yes I do own an iPhone but the key word was 'significant'. My feeling is that if the facebooks etc of the world are doing an iPhone specific version then it's likely that platform offers a worthwhile ROI. The user base 'might' be different in your app but If it is then doubt there is any one platform/browser combination that significantly appears head and shoulders above the others.

It's also important to note that the iPhone offers a higher level of navigational control than it's competitors (excluding the latest android phones which I haven't had a chance to test yet) therefore it is possible to treat it as an interesting middle ground between traditional desktop and traditional mobile experience.

Alun