[Swapped order of paragraphs to make more sense]

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 17:16, David Tomlinson <d.tomlin...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> "iPlayer uses an application called Kontiki that manages your programme
> downloads. The problem is Kontiki is a P2P application that not only
> downloads content, but uploads it too. Files are distributed by 'seeders',
> or people who have chunks of the file to upload to others, which means the
> BBC can reduce its costs."
>
> iPlayer no longer users Kontiki or P2P.

I (and I suspect most others here) are very well aware of what the
iPlayer Desktop of Yore used, but thanks for the history lesson.

> P2P requires the sharing of the content, only between users to the iPlayer,
> using the BBC approved software. I don't mean the BBC intended to share it
> on public P2P networks or internationally.

So why bring it up in the context of sharing content publicly on P2P networks?

[You said: “The implication is that the BBC approved of the sharing of
iplayer content, of course it was subject to DRM.”]

It doesn’t imply that they “approve” of sharing the content on P2P
networks as you suggested—it was used in a limited, closed-loop
fashion as a means to an end (i.e., a distributed CDN); the user had
little to no control over it (depending upon technical competence).
Within the context of the discussion, this fact is almost completely
irrelevant, except that the underlying technology used is
“peer-to-peer”. Technologies get reused all the time, and it doesn’t
imply any sort of endorsement.

M.