On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:57, Ian Forrester <ian.forres...@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> Somewhat related to the discussion already going on?
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jan/25/firefox-open-video-support
>
> Idealists or pioneers?
>
> Interesting block at the bottom,
>
> "Web video has never really been open, unencumbered and free. We've had Real
> Networks RM format, Apple's QuickTime, Microsoft's Windows Media Video (now
> standardised as VC-1), the DivX and XviD codecs, and Adobe Flash among
> others. There might never be one open standard, simply because some content
> owners will want to include DRM (Digital Rights Management) copy restrictions.
>
> However, the web would benefit from having an open, unencumbered and free
> video format that enabled HTML programmers to include a video as easily as
> they now include a headline or a photo, wouldn't it? How do we get to that?"

What I don't understand is that of the three main desktop platforms
Firefox gets installed on - Windows and Mac - both have H.264 decoders
*on the machine already* in the form of Windows Media and QuickTime
APIs. Microsoft and Apple have presumably solved whatever licensing
problems exist for H.264 decoding.

Urgh. This kind of stuff shouldn't be a problem. Really. So, to watch
one type of video online, I use Firefox and to use another type of
video online I use Safari or Chrome. And because standards bodies,
browser manufacturers and patent holders cannot resolve their
differences sensibly, it's back to the good old days.

Paul Downey (@psd) nails it when he says that standards are peace but
the standards process is war.

--
Tom Morris