On 27 Jan 2010, at 08:31, Mo McRoberts wrote:
> that's a good point: I wonder how much of the broadcast output *is*
> encoded in real-time? all of it?

I believe so.

> after all, live programming is in the minority on BBC1-4, and assuming
> things sit on sensible boundaries and are pre-packetised, you
> shouldn't *need* to... in theory. I can envisage some nasty workflow
> issues, mind, especially if chunks of the chain pre-date DVB's
> deployment.

There are some sutbleties I think (other than the fact that big chunks of the
broadcast chain would need replacing) - like ensuring that the receiver's
buffer doesn't over- or underflow at programme boundaries, and retiming all the
stream components (which are currently synchronised to the PCR in the video
coder, IIRC).  Also, I'm not sure how well pre-encoded and real-time encoded
video would play nicely with each other in a statmux - but it's not really my
area of expertise.

> ...or is this one of the (secondary) goals of the tapeless production project?

It's a nice idea, but not a very good fit to the way DVB is broadcast at
present.  I don't think that the DMI project is looking into it, but again -
not an area I know a lot about. :-)