On 01/03/10 11:22, Ian Forrester wrote:
> Your right about the lawyers. As default they suggest you would be a mug to
> give away any part of the rights.

In my experience there are very, very few lawyers who can help work
through more creative models. I've even been surprised by some of the
lawyers working for organizatons/projects who should know better.
Protecting against the risk of loss is deeply ingrained, opening up to
opportunities for gain is an alien way of thinking.

> I know I'm slightly bias but can I suggest http://free-culture.cc/ the book
> to anyone interested in how complex rights can get.

I'd also recommend "Promises To Keep", which Lessig refers to in that
book. It's a very detailed illustration of the precise flow of rights
and values in the (US) music industry. This is what any new system would
replace.

> When started R&DTV, we took the stance of not using anything BBC pretty much,
> just in case there might be a contract or licence which held us from
> releasing the footage. Its like tip toeing in a live minefield.

My mother wanted a DVD of "The Rock and Roll Years" for her birthday
recently and I had to explain why it was incredibly unlikely that one
would be available...
> I do wish we were more enlightened about remix/free culture but the fact
> remains to most of the rights holders that all this is hippy nonsense unless
> its proven that they can make more revenue from giving away part of the
> rights.

I've worked on several projects devoted to doing just that. It's a
struggle but we're learning more and more about both how to structure
the project and how to keep all the stakeholders on board when their
lawyers panic the day before the launch. ;-)

- Rob.