Alex Cockell wrote:
Yeah, but would that include the Mythtv project and other open source projects? Would the Linux community be able to build their own gear? And have access to everything?

Yes. you might even get access to the Canvas UI if you request it.

It is a legal obligation for the BBC (and other public service broadcasters) to make it's services available to the public and act in a non-discriminatory way to all third parties (in my view).

See sections 4.62, 4.72 and 4.74
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/our_work/canvas/canvas_conclusions.pdf

I think this is sufficient to require the specification to be public.
Mo disagrees, we will know for certain in less than 20 days time.

For instance, will there be scope for, say, a Canvas pvr to save out to a NAS frame on the local network?

There is no (longer) any method of enforcing the standard (No NDA) outside reasonable conditions to access to the server (compliance with protocols), if you wish (the software) to ignore the content restrictions, then you can, interface with NAS, blu-ray writer (ignoring the copy flag), or any other media or device.

> I don't renmember having to find 5 grand to look at the PAL
> definition...

You should not be required to join any organisation this time.