Agreed.

So do you think it'll just be a case of 'watch this space' re licences in the
final spec?  Annoys the hell out of me that the Beeb seem to have forgotten
about the enthusiasts with this obsession with locking everything down.

Just changing tack for a sec... An open maint list for iPlayer clients would be
good... And a GPL API would help...

Same for Youview...