On 20 Sep 2010, at 15:45, Alex Cockell wrote:
> http://www.youview.com/terms-and-conditions/
>
> Clauses 3.2.2, clause 5 (esp where the code is open source), clause 10.
>
> Basically it would appear that the jv are trying to close what was previously
> open.

IANAL and I don't work for Youview, but I would be astonished to discover that
anyone intended those T&Cs to apply to anything other than the youview.com
website itself.  From section 2.1: '“YouView Content” means audio, video, text,
images or other content made available by YouView to you through YouView.com.'
Even when the T&Cs talk about "applications", my suspicion is that they're
talking about embedded video players and the like.

Perhaps if I was a lawyer I would understand how you can deem people to have
accepted arbitrary terms and conditions merely by visiting a website. :-)  (I'm
not too happy about click-wrap license agreements either.  Or that most of the
documents that were exchanged last time I bought a house were scanned and
emailed, with paper copies following afterwards, if ever.  Haven't these people
heard of Photoshop?)

> Also, I don't like the bit in the tech docs about updates failing silently.

Not sure I've seen that.