John,

IMO, the point behind BackupPC is to use cheap, easily upgradeable disk
media to make backups available and easy.  That kind of steers me in the
direction of several low-end backup servers, either with separate
storage or all sharing a big fat fiber channel NAS.  Buying a high end
machine and trying to handle what is essentially a very parallelizable
task on a single box is sort of self-defeating, I think.  So, my
response would be to keep what you've got and buy another machine to
offload some clients.

There is definitely some tuning involved with respect to server
performance, given the various file systems, operating systems, physical
hardware choices.  But BackupPC can be tuned considerably based on the
transfer protocols and number of simultaneous backups.  Have you
exhausted these options?

I'm sure you'll get a different answer from every person on the list,
since most of what you're asking is kid-in-the-candy-store questions.
If you're maxing out a single server, chances are, you'll be better off
with two (or more) servers, or the one you have isn't configured for
maximum efficiency.  And get a good 3ware RAID card.  :-)

Hope that helps,
JH