On 3/26/07, Evren Yurtesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > And, you could consider buying a faster drive, or one with a larger
> > buffer.  Some IDE drives have pathetically small buffers and slow
> > rotation rates.  That makes for a greater need for seeking, and worse
> > seek performance.
>
> Well this is a seagate barracuda 7200rpm drive with 8mb cache ST3250824A
> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/ata/100389997c.pdf

Same drive as I'm using, except mine are in RAID1 which doubles random
read performance.

> I read your posts about wifi etc. on forum. The processor is not the
> problem however adding memory probably might help bufferwise. I think
> this idea can actually work.:) thanks! I am seeing swapping problems but
> the disk the swap is on is almost idle. The backup drive is working all
> the time.

Please show us some more real data showing CPU utilization while a
backup is running. Please also give us the real specs of the machine
and what other jobs the machine performs.

> I have to say that slow performance with BackupPC is a known problem. I
> have heard it from several other people who are using BackupPC and it is
> the #1 reason of changing to another backup program from what I hear.
>
> Things must improve on this area.

There are plenty of ways to speed up BackupPC. It really isn't slow in
my experience.

But you must tell us what you are actually doing and what is going on
with your server for us to help instead of repeatedly saying "it's
slow, speed it up".

-Dave