Let's start at the beginning:

On 3/26/07, Evren Yurtesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am using backuppc but it is extremely slow. I narrowed it down to disk
> bottleneck. (ad2 being the backup disk). Also checked the archives of
> the mailing list and it is mentioned that this is happening because of
> too many hard links.
>
> Disks   ad0   ad2
> KB/t   4.00 25.50
> tps       1    75
> MB/s   0.00  1.87
> % busy    1    96

What OS are you runnnig? What filesystem? What backup method
(ssh+rsync, rsyncd, smb, tar, etc)?

75 tps seems to be a bit slow for a single disk. Do you have vmstat,
iostat and/or top output while a backup is running?

> But I couldnt find any solution to this. Is there a way to get this
> faster without changing to faster disks? I guess I could 2 disks in
> mirror or something but it is stupid to waste the space I gain by
> backuppc algorithm by using multiple disks to get a decent performance :)

A mirror will only help speed up random reads at best. This usually
isn't a problem for actual backups, but will help speed up the nightly
maintenance runs.

-Dave