On 3/26/07, Evren Yurtesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> John Pettitt wrote:
> > The basic problem is backuppc is using the file system as a database -
> > specifically using the hard link capability to store multiple references
> > to an object and the link count to manage garbage collection.   Many
> > (all?) filesystems seem to get slow when you get into the millios of
> > files with thousands of links range.   Changing the way is works (say to
> > use a real database) looks like a very non trivial task.   Adding disk
> > spindles will help (particularly if you have multiple backups going at
> > once) but in the end it's still not going to be blazingly fast.
>
> Well, so there are no plans to fix this problem? I found forum threads
> that in certain cases backups take over 24hours! Goodbye to daily
> incremental backups :)

Well, I just saw a proposal on linux-kernel which addresses inode
allocation performance issues on ext3/4 by preallocating contiguous
blocks of inodes for directories. I suspect this would help reduce the
number of seeks required when performing backups.

If there is another filesystem which does this I imagine it would
perform better than ext3.

> Do you know any alternatives to backuppc with web gui? which probably
> works faster? :P

BackupPC is the best. Most backups complete in a reasonable time,
those that don't are backups which are either very large (lots of
bandwidth) or have lots of files. My backup server is a simple Athlon
XP 2000+ with a RAID1 consisting of 2 Seagate 250GB 7200rpm ATA
drives.

More spindles and/or disks with faster seek times is the way to go.

-Dave