Robin Lee Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 09:33:47AM -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
 > > This reminds me: is there some fundamental reason backuppc can't
 > > use symlinks?  It would make so many things like this *so* much
 > > easier. It such a great package otherwise; this is the only thing
 > > that's given me cause to be annoyed with it.
 >
 > Still wondering this.

with hard links, you can tell that a file in the main pool is no
longer needed, by looking at its link count.  when the link count
goes to 1, none of the per-PC backup trees is referencing it, so
it can be deleted.  (this is what the BackupPC_trashClean process
does.)

with symlinks, you wouldn't get that reference count, and "garbage
collection" would be much more expensive.

paul