On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 02:03:04PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>
> >>  > > This reminds me: is there some fundamental reason backuppc
> >>  > > can't use symlinks?  It would make so many things like
> >>  > > this *so* much easier. It such a great package otherwise;
> >>  > > this is the only thing that's given me cause to be annoyed
> >>  > > with it.
> >>  >
> >>  > Still wondering this.
> >>
> >> with hard links, you can tell that a file in the main pool is
> >> no longer needed, by looking at its link count.  when the link
> >> count goes to 1, none of the per-PC backup trees is referencing
> >> it, so it can be deleted.  (this is what the
> >> BackupPC_trashClean process does.)
> >>
> >> with symlinks, you wouldn't get that reference count, and
> >> "garbage collection" would be much more expensive.
> >
> > I'd happily pay the price in garbage collection to have
> > something that could be remote mirrored easily.  Judging by the
> > number of requests this mailing list has had for such a feature,
> > I'm not the only one.
>
> Hardlinking is an atomic operation, tied to the inode of the
> filesystem so once established the target identity can't be
> confused.  Symlinks are just re-evaluated as filenames when you
> open them.

Yes, I understand that.

> So, if you created a symlink to a pooled filename, then the copy
> in the pool directory is removed and re-created (likely,

*Likely*?

If that's likely, then backuppc need to change hash algorithms,
because what you're describing requires a hash collision.

Furthermore, keeping a list of what files point to what pool items
shouldn't actually be that hard.

> because you can't tell what symlinks need it), you'd end up with
> filenames under the pc directory pointing to entirely wrong
> contents.

Again, that requires a hash collision.

> > I'd even be willing to put some money forward if someone wants
> > to code this feature; I'd rather not dig into backuppc's code if
> > I can avoid it.
>
> This isn't really possible at the file level.  I think the zfs
> incremental send/receive might work.  In some cases it might work
> to just run a copy of backuppc remotely, saving directly to an
> encrypted filesystem instead of trying to mirror a copy.

Again: not being able to reasonbly mirror the backup system is a
Real Problem; do you have other any ideas as to how to fix it?

-Robin

--
Lojban Reason #17: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://singinst.org/