On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 07:57:10AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > I've only looked at the code briefly, but I believe this
> > *should* be possible.  I don't know if I'll be implementing it,
> > at least not right away, but it shouldn't actually be that hard,
> > so I wanted to throw it out so someone else could run with it if
> > ey wants.
> >
> > It's an idea I had about rsync resumption:
> >
> > Keep an array of all the things you haven't backed up yet,
> > starting with the inital arguments; let's say we're transferring
> > "/a" and "/b" from the remote machine.
> >
> > Start by putting "a/" and "b/" in the array.  Then get the
> > directory listing for a/, and replace "a/" in the array with
> > "a/d", "a/e", ... for all files and directories in there.  When
> > each file is transferred, it gets removed.  Directories are
> > replaced with their contents.
> >
> > If the transfer breaks, you can resume with that list of
> > things-what-still-need-transferring/recursing-through without
> > having to walk the parts of the tree you've already walked.
>
> Directories aren't static things.  If you don't complete a run,
> you would still need to re-walk the whole tree comparing for
> changes.

Why?  The point here would be to explicitely declare "I don't care
about directories that changed since I passed them on this
particular backup run; they'll get caught on the next backup run".

> You can, however, explicitly break the runs at top-level directory
> boundaries and mount points if you have a problem with the size.

That doesn't always work; it certainly doesn't work in my case.
Millions of files scattered unevenly around a single file system; I
don't even know where the concentrations are because it takes so
long to run du/find on this filesystem, and it degrades performance
in a way that makes the client upset.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something