There was a bug in older versions of cygwin/rsync which did not work as
a "server" over ssh.  It would hang up, so you had to run rsync as a
daemon and set up shares.  However, that has since been fixed, so you
should be able to run rsync/ssh just fine.

I suspect your problem with BackupFileExclude is that you are not
including the full path.  If you are using a Windows client, your full
path will be something like "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/<something to not
backup>".   If you are neglecting the /cygdrive/c/ part, that may be
your issue.

Trey Nolen