On Wednesday 28 September 2011 16:30:18 Timothy J Massey wrote:
> Gerald Brandt <g...@majentis.com> wrote on 09/28/2011 10:15:12 AM:
> > I need to search for a specific file on a host, via backuppc.  Is
> > there a way to search a host backup, so I don't have to manually go
> > through all directories via the web interface?
>
> The easiest, most direct way of doing that would be:
>
> cd /path/to/host/pc/directory
> find . | grep "f<filename>"
>
> I'm sure someone with more shell-fu will give you a much better command
> line (and I look forward to learning something!).

Here you are:

find <path_where_to_start> -iname <string_to_search>

iname means case-insensitive, so you don't have to care about that.
if you want to search for a combination of directory and filename, you have to
think about the 'f' backuppc puts in front.

Using find you will realize that its rather slow and has your disk rattling
away. Better to use the indexing services, for example locate:

locate <string_to_search>

gives a list of hits. But only from the state when locate last rebuilt its
index (should happen daily/nightly). That is good enough to find files last
seen
two weeks ago, but doesn't find that file you just downloaded and can't
remember
where you saved it.

There are also disk-indexing services with web-frontends, htdig comes to mind.
That even finds stuff inside the files.

Have fun,

Arnold