Arnold Krille <arn...@arnoldarts.de> wrote on 09/28/2011 11:20:57 AM:

> > I'm sure someone with more shell-fu will give you a much better
command
> > line (and I look forward to learning something!).
>
> Here you are:
>
> find <path_where_to_start> -iname <string_to_search>

Now I remember why I stick with the grep form:  remembering the different
syntax of the find command.  As a *not* old-time UNIX guru (but a
long-time but not full-time *Linux* user), I think that any parameter of
multiple letters (like -name) should have two dashes!  :)  I am often
frustrated by the unusual find command syntax, so I simply stick with
grep, which has many more uses beyond finding files.

> Using find you will realize that its rather slow and has your disk
rattling
> away. Better to use the indexing services, for example locate:
>
> locate <string_to_search>

Yeah, that's great if you update the locate database (as you mention).  On
a backup server, with millions of files and lots of work to do pretty much
around the clock?  That's one of the first things I disable!  So no
locate.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!