On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Kameleon <kameleo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to explain that the current VM has a 6TB logical volume. I
> would like to move that data to our iSCSI SAN which I have carved out
> a 8TB logical volume on. The problem comes when I try to migrate the
> lv via dd or other means as the host system takes a dump. Does it
> sound like the only option is the "rsync -vrlptgoDH" command? That is
> what I used to get the data from the original machine to the vm.

I don't think there is really a good answer to this problem.  You
might ask on the LVM  list if you could reasonably expect to attach
the iscsi volume as a new physical volume and pmove to it.   I don't
have any experience with that.  Dd should work if you have unmounted
everything so it doesn't change during the copy - if that fails I'd be
concerned about the robustness of the iscsi connection.    Partclone
might be able to do it without copying the unused space but I don't
know how it relates to lvm (but I think clonezilla uses it somehow).

Rsync with the -H option or other file-oriented copying approaches
will take an extremely long time to reconstruct the hardlinks and has
to copy the entire tree in one run to get it right.   Using rsync on
the pool or cpool dir, then the BackupPC_tarPCCopy tool for the pc
directory is supposed to be faster, but it will still take a long time
and the system has to be down for the rsync and tarPCCopy runs to
complete.

I've usually just kept the old system around for emergency restores
while the new replacement collected its own history.

      lesmikes...@gmail.com