On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM, gshergill
<backuppc-fo...@backupcentral.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> The following error keeps coming up when backing up my Windows 2008 server;
>
> Domain=[2008BACKUPTEST] OS=[Windows Server (R) 2008 Standard 6002 Service
> Pack 2] Server=[Windows Server (R) 2008 Standard 6.0]
> tarmode is now full, system, hidden, noreset, verbose
> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \ProgramData\Application Data\*
> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \ProgramData\*
> This backup will fail because: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \\*
> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \\*
>
> The file keeps failing (with access denied) on the following types of files;
>
> Windows 2008
>
> Go to a folder and on the tab with File, Edit, View, Tools, Help do the
> following;
>
> Tools > Folder Options > View > Hide protected operating system files
> (Recommended).
>
> Apply this, and all the files that then show up are the ones that are failing.
>
> To get past it on a specific file I need to right click the folder,
>
> Properties > Security > Edit
>
> Then Remove the line that has a deny value, and make the rest Full Control.
>
> This may be okay to do now and then but there are so many of those files it
> is unreasonable to do it on every single file, and this should be working
> without the need for this.
>
> Any idea why it's failing on these file types? Is there a way around it?

I don't know much about windows security, but this should be pretty
much between smbclient and the windows system.   Are you connecting as
a user with backup rights?  You should see the same thing using
smbclient in interactive mode (a dir of the same directory) - maybe
there would be more expertise on the samba mail list.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com