On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Tyler J. Wagner <ty...@tolaris.com> wrote:
> On 2012-10-04 19:56, Michael Stowe wrote:
>>
>>> The inode number of the ext4 is static.
>>>
>>> - How can I do to increase the number of inodes?
>>
>> The number of ext4 inodes are set when the ext4 volume is created, so, you
>> have to recreate the file system.  Perhaps using an alternative to ext4.
>
> I wonder what caused this. My BackupPC filesystem was created with default
> mkfs.ext4, and has used far more disk space than inodes:
>
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/md0        3.6T  1.6T  2.1T  43% /var
>
> Filesystem        Inodes   IUsed     IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/md0       244195328 4966307 239229021    3% /var

There must be a lot of tiny files that are not duplicates being backed
up.  If the source can be identified, maybe they could be tarred or
zipped in a pre-user command instead of backing up those directories
normally.   If it were mine, I'd probably pull the 'miirror' set of
drives out of the raid10 and add a new raid1 of a pair of 2 or 3TB
drives formatted as XFS and start over, leaving the old set so you
could switch back if you had to do a restore before you built
sufficient history in the new archive.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com