On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Gary Roach <gary719_li...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I tried to try BackupPC_tarCreate and gave up. First the file wouldn't
> run until I appended ./ in front, not obvious to me at least.

That's normal.  Your search PATH for executables does not include the
current directory by default.

> Then I got
> the following:
>
>      BackupPC_tarCreate -n 169 -h <the backup computer with the data> -s
> / > target.tar
>      This returned - Wrong user: my userid is 0, instead of 112 (backuppc)
>      Please su backuppc first.

Again, normal and expected...  You need to run as the correct user.

>      su backuppc
>      $
>      $BackupPC_tarCreate -n 169 -h <the backup computer with the data>
> -s / > target.tar
>      sh: 2:can not crate target.tar: Permission Denied.

OK, now that you are the backuppc user, you need to direct the output
to a location where the backuppc user has permission to create a file.
 If you don't have one, as root create a directory to hold it on a
filesystem with space and 'chown backuppc /path/to/dir'.

>      sh:2:BackupPC_tarCreate: not found.

And that's the same thing as before.  Give the full path to the
program or use ./ if it is in your current directory.

       lesmikes...@gmail.com