Hi all,

I'm seeing network speeds at about 35-45 Mbps when using BackupPC and rsync
over ssh.

Running iperf below I notice the network should theoretically be capable of a
bit more than that. I understand that ssh adds quite a bit of bottleneck.

[root@titan ~]# iperf -c cyndane
Client connecting to cyndane, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 42.5 KByte (default)
[  3] local 192.168.0.8 port 51754 connected with 192.168.0.9 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   398 MBytes   334 Mbits/sec
[root@titan ~]#

Just to clarify, titan above is the BPC-server and has some local disk space
where the backup pool is. Cyndane is the host being backed up. Both have
gigabit-NIC's and a ditto switch between them.

After reading one of the answers at
<<http://serverfault.com/questions/377598/why-is-my-rsync-so-slow>>, I kinda'
wonder if the NFS-angle would work for use with BackupPC and how I would go
about it. Is the tar transfer method the only one supported by BPC if using NFS
for example?
Rsyncing a NFS-mounted remote host supposedly is a lot faster than doing rsync
over ssh.

Any thoughts on this?
Has anybody on this list maybe set up their systems using NFS and can share
their experience?

Thanks.

--
BW,
        Sorin
# Sorin Srbu, Sysadmin
# Uppsala University
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry
# Div of Org Pharm Chem
# Box 574
# SE-75123 Uppsala
# Sweden
#
# Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482
# Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
# Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
#
# This message was not sent from an iProduct!
#
# MotD follows:
# CentOS: Because servers can be cheap.