On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Andreas Piening
<andreas.pien...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Isn't there a specific "Backup Operator" account on windows which has
>> "super" permissions for exactly this reason? I'm not sure if that
>> account will work over samba though?
>>
> At least not by that name, there is for example a „SYSTEM“ user which seems
> to have access everywhere. It doesn’t have a password and does not show up in
> the normal users list. Maybe it is possible to „enable“ this user so that the
> account can be used with CIFS / SMB to get access.
> Does anyone use SMB to backup the whole system drive or the /Users dir? Or is
> the only real option to install a rsyncd with cygwin or something like that?
> I’m trying to get backups with SMB working since I want to be as less
> intrusive to the clients as I can. Means: No additional software installed,
> no additional services. Just crating a share and that’s it.

Backup Operator (and Administrator) are groups you can add to the user
to give additional permissions.  If you are in an Active Directory
environment you would need to join the domain and have domain
credentials, though.   I'd recommend setting up rsync anyway because
it does a better job of tracking renames, changed files with old
timestamps, and deletions.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com