On 14.01.2016 00:13, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> On 14/01/16 07:11, Andreas Piening wrote:
>> I wonder what the easiest / best way is to create a „read everywhere“ user
>> on ms windows to create backups with via CIFS / SMBFS.
>>
>> Ideally I would like to run a short .cmd script or do a couple of clicks to
>> give a local windows user (let’s assume ‚backuppc‘) full read access to
>> everything under c:\Users. Even better with write access to be able to
>> restore in place.
>> I know that I can enable inheritance for permissions in c:\Users and
>> overwrite all permissions on subfolders with the current one. But this would
>> also enable read for everyone for every user on other users profiles which I
>> don’t like. And even this does not work everywhere, even not with an
>> administrative account. I need to take ownership recursively in order to do
>> that and I don’t want to own other users files.
>>
>> Is there a better way?
>
> Isn't there a specific "Backup Operator" account on windows which has
> "super" permissions for exactly this reason? I'm not sure if that
> account will work over samba though?

Additionally, isn't there something like junction points on windows that
can not be read by an ordinary user? I seem to remember that there have
been lists floating around on this mailing list with directories to
exclude for the various windows versions.

A list of failure messages encountered by you may help, btw.

With kind regards

Stefan Peter

--
Any technology that does not appear magical is insufficiently advanced.
~ Gregory Benford