I don’t know if this will help you, but this is how I backup my Macs.

Created a template for backing up Macs. The file is called
/etc/BackupPC/pc/macs.corpnet.com.pl.template
Copy this file to /etc/BackupPC/pc/computername.corpnet.com.pl
Edit the file and change the following line to include the proper hostname
or IP

$Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'macs.corpnet.com';

On the Mac, you need to go to System Preferences, Sharing, and enable
Remote Login.
SSH into the Mac using the riptide.admin account and brown password
Run the following commands

dscl . -create /Users/backuppc

dscl . -create /Users/backuppc UserShell /bin/bash

dscl . -create /Users/backuppc RealName "BackupPC"

dscl . -create /Users/backuppc UniqueID "510"

dscl . -create /Users/backuppc PrimaryGroupID 20

dscl . -create /Users/backuppc NFSHomeDirectory /Users/backuppc

dscl . -passwd /Users/backuppc brown

dscl . -append /Groups/admin GroupMembership backuppc

sudo scutil --set HostName mbp-zrawley.corpnet.com

sudo scutil --set LocalHostName mbp-zrawley.corpnet.com

sudo scutil --set ComputerName mbp-zrawley.corpnet.com

dscacheutil -flushcache

Make sure to change the computer name on the last 4 lines. Login to
backuppc.riptidesoftware.com as the user backuppc and run the following
command

cd .ssh

cat id_rsa.pub

Copy the lines that it spits out

ssh mbp-zrawley.corpnet.com   <-- Change to match the client computer
you are setting up

Use the brown password

sudo -s

Use the brown password

mkdir /Users/backuppc

mkdir /Users/backuppc/.ssh

vi /Users/backupppc/.ssh/authorized_keys

Paste the lines you copied from before and save the file.

chmod -R backuppc:staff /Users/backuppc

Exit the SSH session on the client and then run the following command

ssh mbp-zrawley.corpnet.com   <-- Change to match the client computer
you are setting up

Make sure that is does not ask for a password
You should now be able to backup a Mac by adding it to the hosts at
http://backuppc.riptidesoftware.com

Jeff West
Systems Engineer
Riptide Software
Office 321-296-7724 ext 216 <(321)%20296-7724>
Direct 407-542-7697 <(407)%20542-7697>
Cell    407-925-7030 <(407)%20925-7030>
www.riptidesoftware.com