> I guess I'm missing why you would ever want to delete anything
> manually.  With bpc the actual files are going to be in the pool
> anyway and you almost certainly don't want to delete anything manually
> from there because you'd lose things that are pooled from other hosts.
>   In any case, though, if the next (rsync) run does not find an
> existing copy it should fill it back in.  Tar/smb backups would take a
> full run to recover since they only transfer new files by timestamp on
> incrementals.

Obviously i don't want to delete anything. It's just a safety reason.
I'll repeat my experience with Bacula: with Bacula you have Full,
Incrementals and Differentials.
Incrementals are made from the latest Full and they only store changed files.

When you have to restore an host, you need the latest Full and any
following Incrementals.
Now let's assume a scheduling with 1 full per month and 30 days of incrementals.
If you are at 29th of the month and, for whatever reason, you loose
the Full (unclean shutdown and so on)
you have lost the whole month of backup.

I've learnt this the hardway where an unclean shutdown in the server
room corrupted the Full file the last day of the month.
The same unclean shutdown crashed a server that I had to restore. The
broken server was the affected by the lost backup in bacula.
Thus, a single failure affected a month full of backups.

With rsnapshot this can't happen. If you loose a single file from any
backup point, that file is still available in any other backup point
(obviously, it must be present)
Any backup is totally unrelated to each other thanks to hardlinking.
You can make any kind of mess with any backup point and nothing will
break (except the single backup point that your are messign whith)