On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, with a "full" run, the second "full" is still seen as an
> incremental by rsync?
> Let's assume a 100GB host.
> bpc will backup that host for the first time. 100GB are transferred.
> The next day, only 5GB are added on that host. i'll force bpc to make
> a "full/filled" backup.
> How many GB are transferred, 105GB or only 5GB ?

With rsync xfers, only the changes are going to be transferred.  The
difference in a backuppc full and incremental is that the incremental
will use the rsync feature of comparing the timestamp and length of
the files to quickly skip unchanged files, where a full run will do a
full read of all files on the target host for a block checksum
comparison with the old copy.   If you use checksum-caching, the
backuppc side will store those on the 2nd full run and not have to
uncompress and compare for the third and subsequent full runs -
however the client side always does a full read so fulls take more
time but not a lot more bandwidth.   Bpc3 required the old matching
file to have been in the same location on the same host to avoid
transferring again.  Bpc4 is supposed to be able to identify matching
files out of the pool if they have been renamed or you already have a
copy from another host.   So if that "new" 5 GB was copied from
somewhere that was already backed up, you would not need to transfer
anything again.

>> With BackupPC 4.x  if you delete a 'filled' backup (why would you do that
>> anyway?)  It just makes BackupPC work harder since it has to rebuild
>> references back to an older filled backup, which cost time while doing a
>> restore.  So you'll only lose the single day that you delete.
>
> And what If I don't have any other filled backup but only incrementals
> made from the deleted "filled" ?

"Filled" backups don't take a lot more space, just more time to build
the directory structure.  If you are concerned about this, keep more
filled copies.  In any case the next run will copy in anything
missing.

    lesmikes...@gmail.com