Hi,

let's start over.

Jens Potthast wrote on 2017-12-13 14:01:46 +0100 [[BackupPC-users] Trouble with
restore]:
> [...]
> I needed to restore a couple of files
> recently. The last time, I had to restore some files was years ago. At that
> time it was no problem. Right now, restore fails:
>
> Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\server\\sharename -U backuppcuser -E -d 1 -c
> tarmode\ full -mSMB3 -Tx -
> Running: /usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h hostname -n 1886 -s
> sharename -t -r /Path\ to\ file -p /Path\ to\ file/filename.txt

you've got an error in your arguments, or you've misquoted from your log file
(or your version of BackupPC is broken). That may or may not be related, but
it's something to check. You are apparently using the web interface for a
direct restore to the client system.

a) Personally, I wouldn't do that, but you may have good reasons.
b) You are possibly filling in some incorrect values into the web form. The
   arguments to BackupPC_tarCreate are directing it to
   - remove "/Path to file" from the paths in the backup and
   - add    "/Path to file/filename.txt" in front of all paths.
   Is that what you want? The "filename.txt" seems misplaced, and it will
   likely be difficult to create a directory of that name on the target
   system if there happens to be a file of that name present, which might
   explain your error (or not).
   Also, there are no file name arguments, which should cause
   BackupPC_tarCreate to terminate with an error message. Strange.
   Note: the '-r' and '-p' arguments wouldn't be created if the two paths
   were equal (at least the code says so).

> [...]
> tarCreate: Done: 1 files, 237695 bytes, 0 dirs, 0 specials, 0 errors

That sounds as if it had worked ...

> tar:1596 Can't mkdir Path to filename: NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_COLLISION

... and that doesn't mention "filename.txt".

What's in the RestoreInfo.xxx file for the restore attempt?

Regards,
Holger