Hi,
Still no progress on this one. Here is a wrap-up of what I have tried so
far:

- Restoring (with smb) to the same or another host: operation breaks, as
soon as a file is restored in an existing directory.

- Restoring (with smb) to a new directory (same or different host):
directory is created, the first file is restored and then restore fails.

- When I mount my shares manually as 'backuppcuser', I am able to
copy/change files on Windows hosts. That should rule out any permission
issues.

- No Warnings or errors in SMB-Log-files on Windows hosts.

- Restoring using ssh, zip or tar works as expected. I had Archive::Zip
missing. Since I never used zip, it went unnoticed.

What I need right now: Someone with a similar configuration/environment
testing a restore (with smb) operation.

My System: Debian 8.10, BackupPC 4.1.5, Hosts: Windows Server 2012 R2,
Windows 7 x64 (via SMB3).

Regards,
Jens