Thus spake Michael Stowe:

> > Can anyone suggest what's causing the backup to fail or how I could
> > further troubleshoot?
>
> Certainly.
>
> First, to further troubleshoot:  check the logs for rsync on the other
> side (the system that is being backed up) which may include more
> information on the fatal errors.

Where would I find logs for rsync on the target system? I see nothing
which looks relevant in /var/log there.

To be clear, the target system is not running rsyncd. The XferMethod in
use is "rsync", which I understood was using rsync over ssh.

> Second, suggestions on what's causing the backup to fail:  you haven't
> specified how the backups are structured, but it certainly looks like
> rsync backing up files either directly from or mounted from a Windows
> system.  Some of the non-fatal errors are indicating that you are (for
> some reason) backing up Internet Explorer cache files.  While a bit
> silly, this isn't itself a problem, but it strongly implies possible
> indiscretion with regards to attempting to back up forbidden files
> (e.g., open or protected without shadow copies) or those whose filenames
> can't be handled by rsync.

Those files are from a backup of the last Windows system the owner of
the laptop used, some years prior. The target system is Fedora 26, not
Windows.

Those Windows files were backed up successfully by BackupPC 3, from the
user's previous laptop. Unfortunately, I upgraded to 4.1.5 in the same
week when the user got a new lapop, so I never had a chance to see how
the old BackupPC version behaved with the new laptop.

--
J.