Hi Phil,

are you sure that the correct SSH key is used for the connection?

You mentioned that the command works as root, so I assume that the SSH key that you authorized for connecting to the client is root's rather than backuppc's. (Crucial line: "Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).") If so, either ssh-genkey as backuppc and authorize the corresponding pubkey on the client, or copy over root's key to backuppc; typically, this should work as root via
        cp -i ~root/.ssh/id_?sa* ~backuppc/.ssh/
        chown backuppc:backuppc ~/backuppc/.ssh/id_?sa*

Another reason could be that, unless you disabled SSH host key checking, you need to manually SSH to the client as user backuppc once to confirm the client's key at the prompt. To check this,
        su -s /bin/bash backuppc
        ssh ${client_user}@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Note the ${client_user} - I guess that would be root, so it works without any specification when you run SSH as root, but not as backuppc. You might want to add a corresponding UserName entry in your backuppc user's SSH config file.

HTH,
Alex