Kris,
Not quite sure what you mean by "in-place C6-C7 upgrade", unless you mean something like the Fedora mechanism of doing a yum type update which CentOS doesn't support.

I re-installed C7 over the C6 installation.

I then re-installed V3 which unfortunately installs backuppc with a new UID and GID.

So before I started I did a chown -R backuppc: /var/lib/BackupPC and continued to perform all my backups of both C6 and C7 hosts.

Once I was satisfied that it was working properly I then uninstalled V3 and installed V4 from the fws repo
http://repo.firewall-services.com/

The installation recognized the fact the I had a V3 pool and modified the config file as needed and the first time it ran it took a while for it to parse the V3 pool.

A bonus to all this is that I've been trying to back up a PC and have always failed up to now, but the combination of C7 and BackupPC v4 has resolved that issue as well, so the bottom line is that it has been a win win for me all the way around with the exception of the one xfer error that I'm trying to get resolved.

It sounds like you need to change the ownership of the pool to solve your permissions problem.

pete