On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Bowie Bailey <bowie_bai...@buc.com> wrote:

> Right now, the only error I've seen is the error that stopped the backup:
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(1556)
> [generator=3.0.9.12]
>
> The main annoyance is that I have no way to track progress.  While the
> backup is running, I can't tell if it's about to finish, or if it's
> bogged down and is likely to take a few more hours (or days).

Rsync probably builds a table in memory to track the inodes of files
with multiple links so you may be running out of RAM or slowing down
from swapping.  For a brute-force approach to see what is happening
you could strace the rsync process on the sending side.  You could at
least tell if it is still opening/reading files.

      lesmikes...@gmail.com