Hi,

Jaime Fenton wrote on 2018-10-24 16:17:24 +0000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Weird
backup commands]:
> Also, my apologies if my tone came across as snippy or rude [...] I???m just
> frustrated with the issues I???m having [...]

well ...

> [...]
> If I thought samba was not going to work, then I would dump it.

Believe it or not, Samba *can* never work properly, presuming you want both
incremental and exact backups. As Craig pointed out, Samba *can* never give
you the in-/exclude options rsync does. If you're fine with all of that, then
go ahead. The only benefit Samba gives you is presumably the ease of setup,
and you're apparently not getting much out of that, because it doesn't "just
work". You're going to have to put in some work one way or the other. There
is simply no way around that.

> [...]
> Out of curiosity, has anyone else had a problem with samba 4.7.1? I did see
> one mention in a forum somewhere that there issues were resolved with samba
> 4.7.3. Thoughts?

It seems highly unlikely that one Samba version changes the command line
BackupPC passes to it. Much more likely is an issue with your BackupPC
configuration. That is why Craig asked:

> [...]
> What are your settings for $Conf{SmbClientFullCmd}, $Conf{SmbShareName},
> $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} and $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} on the two machines?

So, my thought is: answer the question. Without that information, the only
help we can give you is, "there's probably something wrong with your
configuration".

I might add that each of these settings individually might be global or
host specific. How do you manipulate the settings? Do you edit the config
file or use the web interface?

> [...]
> ???         Good example: Running: /usr/bin/smbclient
> \\\\computername.domainname\\C\$<file:///\\computername.domainname\C\$> -U
> AL\\backuppc -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -TcN /data/backuppc/pc/
> computername.domainname /timeStamp.level0 - Users\\username\\AppData Users\\
> username \\Documents<file:///\\Documents> Users\\ username
> \\Downloads<file:///\\Downloads> Users\\ username \\My\<file:///\\My\>
> Documents Users\\ username \\Desktop<file:///\\Desktop>
>
> ???         Error example: Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\
> computername.domainname \\C\$<file:///\\C\$> -U AL\\backuppc -E -d 1 -c
> tarmode\ full -Tc - Users\\\*\\AppData\\\* Users\\\*\\Documents\\\*
> Users\\\*\\Downloads\\\* Users\\\*\\Desktop\\\* Users\\\*\\My\ Documents\\\*

This seems to be badly mangled by both your MUA as well as yourself - I'm
guessing the spaces around "computername.domainname" as well as "username"
are probably not there (they're not escaped, so they would separate arguments,
basically meaning the good example command would be nonsense, even with the
file tags removed).
In any case, the confusion Windoze path separators introduce is a pain. I'm
not sure this is better with rsync, but it probably is - at least you *should
be* able to consistently use "/", which doesn't need escaping. Oh, and you
can use both in- and excludes with rsync. You can't with Samba. You know that,
right?

My reaction, at least, is, I'm not taking a closer look at any of that,
because it's bogus, confusing, and irrelevant. We need the configuration
details.

Hope that helps.

Also, my apologies if my tone came across as snippy or rude, I'm just
frustrated with questions (and followups) that prevent the possibility
of meaningful help.

Regards,
Holger