I suspect this happens when there is no completed backup, but the first one
is currently underway.  In 3.x the HOST's backups file is not updated until
after a backup completes, but in 4.x an "active" entry is written to the
backups file when the backup starts, which causes BackupPC_sendEmail to
send the confusing message.  Yes, as Wade observed it thinks the last
backup is the linux epoch at t = 0 because the temporary "active" entry in
the backups file doesn't yet have all the fields filled in.

The correct message to send is the "no successful backups" message.

I'll commit a fix, hopefully tonight.

Craig