On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 12:25:21 +0000
Stefan Schumacher <stefan.schumac...@net-federation.de> wrote:

Hi

> I want to set up a new zfs volume as storage for Backuppc. I plan on
> using the zfs features encryption, deduplication and compression.

Unless you have an _absolute_ need, do NOT use deduplication into ZFS
and if you persist, do not take carelessly the 5 GB/TB _lower_ limit
than is given in docs for dedup - if your files are plenty and small,
you hit the jackpot and can raise this limit to 10 GB/TB.

Not to mention the loss of performance, especially in writing.

> According to my understanding activating these feature on the
> filesystem level should be followed by disabling them on the
> application level, meaning Backuppc. I have found an option to
> deactive compression in the configuration, but none for pooling.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Am I correct in assuming that I should disable pooling and
> compression in Backuppc?

Compression yes, because LZ4 into ZFS comes at almost no cost, provided
you have a sufficient CPU.

This one needs another answer than mine, perhaps more technical :
Pooling no, as it the base of BPC process - whether you use V.3 or V.4,
you still need the files… pooled somewhere.

> The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
> privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee and access to the
> e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
> recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken
> or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
> unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error please forward to:
> post...@net-federation.de

This particular clause has been an urban legend for way too looong, 'cos
in any reasonable system of law (and international law), you cannot
reverse the effect and the cause, leaving somebody that did nothing
responsible for your own act of error.

In short, if you goof, it's for your ass, not the receiver's - bad
lawyer, change lawyer…

Jean-Yves