From: Michael Stowe <michael.st...@member.mensa.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2019 12:50 AM
To: General list for user discussion, questions and support
Cc: Mathew Perry
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Re: backuppc behind nginx which is on
another host

On 2019-04-17 21:27, Mathew Perry wrote:

you explained it exactly. But i've posted my directive already. If i would know
what to do know with my nginx config, i wouldn't ask here. 🙂

Ah. Let's fix it.

This should suffice:

location /backuppc/ {

proxy_pass http://ipaddress:port/;
}

And you posted:

location /backuppc/ {

proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto https;
proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
proxy_max_temp_file_size 0;
proxy_pass http://ipaddress:port/;
proxy_redirect http:// https://;

proxy_redirect off;
}

The headers are superfluous and perhaps innocuous, but where the breakage
occurs here is in the proxy_redirect directives, where the first one breaks the
default redirect by telling nginx that instead of properly replacing the back
end server's url with the front end server's url, you'd like to force the front
end to use https on the wrong url. The second proxy_redirect directive turns
that off, so that instead of properly replacing the back end server's url with
the front end server's url, you'd like to just use the wrong url. I'd recommend
removing all this nonsense.

leads to: “The Requested URL /BackupPC_Admin was not found on this server”

Yes, you've specifically told it not to redirect to the proper server

i wouldn't ask here if only a proxy pass is needed....

That is literally all you need, although it's possible to break the proxy pass
with additional directives.