I am the current BackupPC package maintainer for Fedora / EPEL but I only
use it in a home environment. I don't consider myself and expert so I was
waiting to see if anyone else responded first but I had a few minutes so I
deleted a file out of my home directory and restored it.

My current setup is on a CentOS 8 box but the package is built the same as
for all releases of Fedora.

I can not reproduce this behavior so it may be something with your setup.

One major difference in our setups is that I connect as root to the client
machine. I only have one computer exposed to the internet so I allow root
logins to all other machines. On that machine I'm only overriding the user
ssh uses, all other settings are package defaults.

I seem to have a lot more restore arguments than you. Did you upgrade from
v3 to v4 or a fresh install? It's a bit of a pain but it may be worth
backing up your config.pl and use the package version and manually
migrating your site specific settings.

Thanks,
Richard