Michael Stowe wrote at about 22:24:13 +0000 on Friday, May 22, 2020:
 > On 2020-05-22 09:15, backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
 > > If I add '--omit-dir-times' to $Conf{RsyncArgsExtra}, then the backups
 > > set all the directory dates to the beginning of the Epoch.
 > >
 > > For example
 > >     drwxr-xr-x 3 backuppc www-data  1024 Dec 31  1969 pc/
 > >
 > > (note this is 1/1/70 00:00:00 GMT)
 > >
 > > This is inconsistent with normal rsync wich just uses --omit-dir-times
 > > to omit directories from --times when looking for *changes*
 > >
 > > I was expecting and would have liked the normal behavior of
 > > --omit-dir-times to speed up backups...
 > >
 > > Is this a bug???
 >
 > No, it's expected behavior, you seem to have misunderstood what this
 > rsync option does.
 >
 > What it does is omit directories from the modification times that it
 > sets.  In other words, you're telling it not to set the times on
 > directories it copies.  The beginning of the epoch is pretty reasonable
 > for directories which have no specific time set.

Actually, at least the manpage is unclear.
And *differs* from the default behavior of native rsync (at lesat on
Ubuntu) that sets the dir time to the current time -- which is more
reasonable than some arbitrary epoch = 0 time.

That is what I would have expected and I believe should be the default
behavior...