Kenneth Porter wrote at about 13:37:02 -0700 on Monday, May 10, 2021:
 > --On Monday, May 10, 2021 5:25 PM -0400 backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
 >
 > > Even if you were content with seeing a standalone heat map for one
 > > backup (as unhelpful as it may be), creating it would be quite slow
 > > since you would need to access, unpack/uncompress, and read each attrib
 > > file to calculate the file sizes.
 >
 > Indeed. If you've used the treemap utilities, you know you leave them
 > running in the background for an hour or more and then view the result.
 > kdirmap has the feature that you can load a previously-saved map. Hence,
 > I'd think such a plugin would run in the background or load a kdirmap file.
 > Hmm, perhaps this might be better as a standalone web page rather than a
 > BackupPC plugin.

Sounds like a standalone routine would be simpler and more in keeping
with the structure of BackupPC.

 > Presentation would be interesting. Most useful would be a treemap of the
 > pool, with tooltips showing what each file was known as on clients, and how
 > many clients shared it.
Again not easy, as you would have to recurse through all the backups
to determine which source file name is represented by the pool
file. This does not scale well and is computationally expensive as you
would need to recurse and read through all attrib files.

 > One could optionally weight a file's size by how
 > many clients shared it.

This is doable as the pool refcnt will say how many backups share it
-- though it won't distinguish between multiple backups on one machine
vs. multiple machines. To distinguish, you would again need to recurse
through all the machines...

 > (Is there a way to add links to external facilities in BackupPC? I
 > currently have a separate page with the link to the cygwin rsyncd package
 > to use when setting up a new PC.)

You just run a separate program and optionally query the BackupPC
daemon if you need to know status of the current BackupPC processes.

 > > Of course, if you "welcome" such a plugin, you are more than
 > > "welcome" to write one as this is an open source project...
 > >
 > > I just don't see it happening by itself as the dev team is small (mostly
 > > Craig) and focused on core stability and functionality.
 >
 > Oh, I'm quite aware it would be SMOP, hence the suggestion that it be a 3rd
 > party plugin. ;) But if someone's looking for a school project that might
 > be a nice one to share.

Unlikely, but good luck if you go on the journey of writing this yourself...